Andreas is in the north of the island, 5 km from Ramsey.
Andreas village lies at an altitude of about 20 metres, in the centre of the island’s northern plain, in the parish of Andreas, which takes in part of the sandy lands known as the Curragh, and to the north contains low, rounded hills, lying between Port Cranstal and Blue Point and includes the Ayres National Nature Reserve. It is within the sheading of Ayre and the Keys constituency of Ayre & Michael. The Isle of Man census of 2016 returned a parish population of 1,397.
The Parish of Andreas is overseen by five Parish Commissioners, responsible for such aspects as public parks and leisure areas, street lighting and cleaning and refuse collection amongst other things.
Both the village and the parish take their name from Saint Andrew. Evidence for human habitation of the area stretches back to pre-Christian era. The Bronze Age Ballavarry Burial Mound can be found a short distance outside of the village.
St Andrew’s Church (Kirk Andreas), was most likely built on the site of a much older early Christian keeill (small chapel). Several medieval Manx carved stone crosses with slabs have been discovered in the vicinity of the parish church. Eleven slabs are now on display in St Andrew’s Church. There are also 23 military graves within the Church graveyard from WWII.
For much of the history of the village, the community was primarily based around agriculture. In recent years many inhabitants of the village now commute daily to Ramsey or Douglas.
A now little-used RAF airfield is about 1 km to the east of the village. During the war the Royal Air Force Station Andreas was home to several squadrons, including 457 and 452 squadrons RAAF, 93 Squadron RAF, an Air Sea Rescue Squadron and No.11 Air Gunnery School. The airfield operated from 1941 to 1946, and had three runways. Subsequently and up to the present day, it has limited use for agriculture, light aircraft activity and gliding.
There were many military campsites dotted around the village, where many of the estates have now been built.
The village has one school, Andreas Primary School, which takes children from ages 4 to 11. It was originally built in 1903, with the current building dating primarily from 1977. The school logo features a cross based on Viking cross-slabs in the village church, a Viking ship based on a local ship burial at Knock y Doonee and the Manx Arms. After year six, pupils generally attend either Ramsey Grammar School or Queen Elizabeth II High School in Peel
There is a Parish Hall, built in 1939, where the Parish commissioners meet on a monthly basis and which also hosts a variety of events such as the local Women’s Institute, exhibitions, sports such as badminton and bowls, and various birthday or anniversary parties. The hall is a former RAF building which was used for a gym and a place of worship.
There is a family run pub and restaurant in the village, the Grosvenor.
Ayre United Football Club are based in the village. Founded in 1967, they compete in the Isle of Man Football League and play their home games at Andreas Playing Fields where they have a clubhouse. They were the first club on the island to install floodlights and won the Manx FA Cup in the 2002-3 season.
The current Church building, St Andrew’s, was built in 1802 with stone from Sulby Glen, and is the Anglican parish church, in the Church of England Diocese of Sodor and Man. A 120-foot bell tower was built in 1869, but reduced in height during World War II. The bell tower has never been restored to its original height.
Also in the parish is St Jude’s Chapel, built in 1869 in a Romanesque style with a square tower. In March 2005 the Friends of St Jude’s took over the upkeep of the chapel and successfully campaigned against its demolition. It is now used for occasional services including weddings, funerals and christenings.